When I heard my oldest friend FiFi was going to be in the country for Christmas, I just had to make sure we met up!
I was born in Truro and these were our friends growing up in Truro. Even when we moved to Bristol when I was very young, we still went back every summer or school holiday to visit.
They make up a huge part of my childhood. I was the youngest of the gang and loved being part of this crazy crew.
To catch up after so long (I think the last time we saw them all was at my wedding 5 years ago), I've now had Felicity and FiFi has had 2 children. But it felt like nothing had changed and it was so special to see how everyone was.
We also visited one of our old hang outs; Trelissick Gardens and it was absolutely stunning. We used to moan and moan about going for a walk there, how times have changed!
National Trust Trelissick Garden
We absolutely love Cardinham Woods, near Bodmin.
Firstly, its only half an hour from Looe, which is ideal when you have a very sicky toddler in the car.
Its dog friendly AND, this is the big bit for me, it has an amazing cafe. C'mon, a dog walk isn't a good dog walk without a coffee and cake, or a spot of lunch!
They were doing a winter special's menu, which included a winter ploughmans...well, it was so good I had it twice! (Obviously not on the same day).
I also had some amazing chocolate Guinness cake (I'm not a Guinness drinker but this cake was unreal).
It's also got a lovely wooden park for the kids. It's probably a bit better for older kids but there's a swing and some bits for toddlers.
Anyway, if you are around that way, it's a good place for the whole family!
These are some of my most favourite photos. Look at how happy she is!
We got Felicity and my Mum these ducks for Christmas and they are just such lovely animals. They are quite scatty and don't come to us but we are trying to make them be a bit more friendly. Felicity just wants to cuddle and kiss them!
I was tagged my new lovely friend @kateandthetwins to do #20factsaboutme so here we go;
1. I met my gorgeous husband is a nightclub (Oceana 🤙) in Bristol, & we've been together 10 years now
2. Our first date he took me to watch England vs Spain in Manchester, I got so travel sick on the way back that I didn't speak to him the whole way home. But it did start snowing when we got to Bristol (It was all very romantic)
3. I was born in Truro, Cornwall
4. We got married outside overlooking St Ives
5. I have a degree in Sociology & Criminology
6. I have worked on loads of murder cases, including some famous ones - Joanna Yeates, Melanie Hall & Melanie Road to name a few
7. My cousins are basically my sister's and I adore them.
8. I suffered from PTSD after the traumatic birth of my gorgeous Felicity
9. Felicity means happiness & she is my happiness
10. I love football. I support Liverpool, and have done since I was about 10. The only reason I picked Liverpool was because I was obsessed with Michael Owen. My Dad was an Everton supporter but didn't mind me picking Liverpool as he was just happy I liked football!
11. I've been told I look like Jenna Coleman
12. I love all animals but my favourite animals are donkeys and owls. I will own a donkey (or 2) of my own in the future.
13. I currently have a dog (Red who is a 6 year old Hungarian Vizsla), a 4 year old grey & white cat called Marilyn, 3 chickens, 2 ducks & a tortoise called Falfy. Our first ever pet was a black & white cat called Stevie (named after Steven Gerrard, who became my obsession after Michael Owen). Stevie was the love of my animal life 💔
14. My favourite food is my Mums spaghetti bolognese
15. My second home is Spain, at my Auntie and Uncle's hotel in Andalusia
16. The other country I love is Italy. This is where we spent 3 weeks for our honeymoon travelling the length of Italy.
17. My husband took us to Toronto for my 30th birthday & it was a trip of a lifetime
18. I adore my family. I have 2 nephews & 1 niece. I lost my I lost my Dad when I was 16 so family is extremely important to me.
19. I have 4 best girlfriends in Bristol 💜
20. I now live in Cornwall, from Bristol & I love it
I decided to pay for a food intolerance test. And the reason I did this was I was being sick every time I drank alcohol. I had tried different alcohol, and always made sure I ate lots of food beforehand. I could drink lots or just have one drink, and I was still sick about an hour after having a drink. I am not massively bothered about drinking, never have been but I do like to have the option of drinking.
So I paid £40 for a private food intolerance test. I found out that I had severe intolerance to; coffee, bananas, onions and garlic. OK so coffee and bananas I can just about deal with but onions and garlic?! They are in nearly every food!! Baked beans, soups, pasta sauces, casseroles!
The lady who did the test said to try 6 weeks without any of the intolerance's (there were loads; those 4 were my severe ones). So I am 2 weeks into none of my intolerance's and so far, have nothing to report! I really hope I start to feel the benefit. I am basically hoping for miracles! Ha. But I do want to do it and then I will slowly reintroduce onions and garlic and see if that has any effect. And then I would like to try a small gin!
For my Mum & Felicity's Christmas presents, we decided to get them ducks!
So we have 2 new additions to the gang, Milky way and chocolate brownie. They are currently in with the chickens and we've added a little pond for them in the coop. They really stick together and they are so cute. We haven't had any eggs from them yet but hope they will lay in the spring.
We need to cut their wings to be able to let them out but I think we will leave that to the spring too. And I have no idea how we will catch them to cut them as they won't come anywhere near us!
My Mum was so surprised when we got them and Felicity loves them.
We had such a lovely Christmas.
I'm not always a massive fan of Christmas because it was a sad period for me when my Dad was ill and then passed away in January when I was 16 years old.
But now I have Felicity and Joey, it is so lovely to start to enjoy Christmas again.
Felicity loved every aspect of Christmas but she mainly loved spending time with her family and handing out presents!
We've now lost 3 chickens...sad times. We aren't used to this country life! I won't go into the details of how they died because its sad and there's no need.
But I did just want to say that we were totally open and honest with Felicity about them dying. She wanted to see one of them when it died and said goodbye to her. I really believe that children of a certain age don't understand the concept of heaven or in the stars and that it is fair to them to be honest and open. So I have decided that is how I want to be with Felicity.
When we talk about my Dad, I say he isn't here anymore and that he died because he was ill.
When she is older, I will change the way I tell her things, to explain things in more detail and to help her not to worry. For example, I will explain that my Dad was ill, people get ill but that not everyone is going to die at that age and people usually die when they are old.
Morbid conversation but I think it is important. It's important to me when I have been through so much grief.
I never win anything, in fact, I cannot remember the last time I ever won anything!
I did the tombola the other day at a Christmas fair and spend £2 on tickets and didn't win a thing!
I have treated myself to a new Olympus PEN camera for Christmas with my Christmas money so I entered the Olympus PEN Advent Calendar competition on Instagram and won! I won a gorgeous silver clutch bag for the camera and a black leather strap for the camera. Very very chuffed!
We were lucky enough to be offered a photo shoot by the loveliest lady. She suggested having it on the beach and I was well up for it!
We decided on a beach close to us due to time constraints, and I am so happy we picked Talland Bay and the time we met, because the sun was setting and it meant the photos have the most amazing sun light in them.
I am over the moon with how they've come out and will be sharing them for a long long time!
Photographer - Natascha
Hello! I'm Jess.
Follow me on Instagram (cornwall_baby) for more photos;